A test tube baby center is often the first hope of couples suffering due to childlessness. While the usual IVF treatment cost and success rate are pretty good and bring positive results for most couples, there are cases where IVF alone is not enough. Best ICSI treatment in India plays major role in such cases.
ICSI treatment cost in India is the most affordable compared to other countries all over the globe.
In such situations, an IVF center in India might recommend an additional procedure over and above the standard IVF. This extra step is known as ICSI or intracytoplasmic sperm injection.
What is ICSI Treatment?
ICSI is a technique where a single sperm is directly injected into an egg so that the egg can be fertilized. Later on, this fertilized egg (known as an embryo) is placed into the womb of a woman just like with regular IVF. Because of this, ICSI treatment success rates are similar to those of IVF success rate.
Ready to get started? Please contact us today and we’ll be happy to provide a free, no obligation quote.
When is ICSI Suggested?
A fertility clinic in India typically recommends ICSI when a couple fails to conceive through normal IVF because of poor or absent fertilization. ICSI is also suggested to couples where the male,
- has a poor sperm count.
- suffers from low sperm motility which is caused because of an abnormal shape of the sperm. Such sperm cannot swim well.
- had previously undergone a vasectomy and because of that, his sperm is sourced from the epididymis (where the sperm is stored) or testicles.
- fails to ejaculate sperm along with the semen, which means the sperm needs to be collected directly from the testicles.
- cannot obtain and maintain an erection or has trouble ejaculating. This also includes males with diabetes, spinal cord injury and other problems.
- unsuccessfully tried to reverse a vasectomy or the reversal led to very poor sperm quality and a low sperm count.
How is ICSI Implemented?
ICSI is implemented as part of IVF, which is why the ICSI pregnancy success rate is similar to that of IVF. In fact, an IVF-ICSI treatment doesn’t seem all that different compared to IVF techniques alone since the whole procedure is done in a laboratory. As far as the male partner is concerned, the ways in which the sperm is extracted might differ. For females though, the ICSI procedure follows that of IVF.
ICSI procedure requires a semen sample from the male partner on the day the egg is retrieved from the female partner. This semen is then examined under the microscope in order to identify and extract the best quality sperm. But if the analysis proves the sample to be lacking in good quality sperm, the male might be subjected to certain procedures to extract viable sperm.
How are sperms extracted in case of azoospermia for ICSI procedure?
Depending upon the exact cause of the male’s fertility problems, sperms can be collected/extracted from,
- the epididymis using a fine syringe. A thin tube within the scrotum, the epididymis is where the sperms are stored and mature. This procedure is called PESA (percutaneous epididymal sperm aspiration).
- the testicles through a procedure known as TESA (testicular sperm aspiration).
- small amounts of testicular tissue which is acquired after a testicular biopsy. This process is known as TESE (testicular sperm extraction).
When both the sperm and eggs are obtained, an embryologist places the eggs in a unique culture and uses a microscope and a tiny needle to inject the egg with a single sperm. The procedure is repeated for every egg that has been retrieved. Just because the sperm has been injected into the egg doesn’t mean it is instantly fertilized. However, ICSI makes it possible for the fertilization process to begin.
Consequently, one to three of the highest quality blastocyst embryos are identified and transferred to the female’s womb. This is similar to how it is done with a regular cycle of IVF.
Dr Pranay Shah
Director and Chief Fertility Consultant
Dr. Divyesh Bhalodia
Counseller and Communicator
Dr. Dhruti Maheshwari
What Are The Advantages of ICSI?
- The Best IVF success rate in India is notably boosted with the inclusion of the ICSI procedure. This leads to the formation of a higher number of embryos, which increases their chances of cryopreservation.
- ICSI might be the only option for a couple to conceive their own child after all other avenues have been exhausted.
- If the male partner is not able to ejaculate due to anxiety or discomfort on the day of egg retrieval, his sperm can be extracted instead of ICSI. One way to overcome this is by cryopreserving the male’s semen sample before initiating the IVF cycle.
- Couples suffering from unexplained infertility can also benefit from ICSI. The pregnancy rates for IVF and ICSI are quite similar. Further with ICSI, fertility problems because of unknown causes have very little scope to prevent a pregnancy from occurring.
What is the Success Rates of ICSI?
The success rates of IVF and ICSI are quite similar. In fact, that is one of the reasons why ICSI IVF success rates are no longer presented individually. With ICSI, pregnancy rates are generally around 60% to 80% although they can vary on a case to case basis.
What is the ICSI Treatment Cost?
Thanks to advances in the field, the ICSI treatment cost in India is quite reasonable. The affordable cost is a huge reason behind the many ICSI success stories seen in India and other developing nations.
Ask anyone troubles with infertility how troubled they are due to infertility. How taking rounds to even the best infertility clinics and surrogacy hospitals has made them miserable. Infertility affects…
Various factors influence pregnancy. Men and women both need to be ready physically to conceive and get pregnant and for the pregnancy to be healthy and to avoid any risk…
Having children is a part of everyone’s life. Some like to plan early in their life and start their family early, while some couples put their career first and plan…
IVF treatments have become quite the rage with lakhs of IVF babies born every year from Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART). Couples around the world find their dreams coming true when…